Thursday, February 26, 2009

Nearly 27

I'm almost 27. Will be next week. A colleague, my age, came in today, sort of panicking about approaching 30. I should be more nervous I guess, there's a lot of social pressure attached to certain ages, at least in Ireland. Things to achieve close to the age of 30:
- house + mortgage (an apartment will do as well, but a house is the real thing. If you get an apartment, by default you should swap it for a house by then time you reach 40, or 38...)
- car. Maybe two. If you have a partner, you should have two.
- several pay rises and promotions.
- membership at an exclusive gym.
- for ladies: an engagement ring. Big, diamonds, all that.

Actually, now I feel pretty sick about my age. I'm kinda glad I'm not shopping around for mortgages but instead will spend my 27th birthday in Cheung Chau.

No comments: